Who We Are
St. Michael's began in 1852 with a wooden 40 x 60 structure. Immigrants in the area at the time were of a Bavarian/ German heritage. In 1869 they built a magnificent new structure to house the large congregation. In 1871 the Chicago Fire came through and destroyed all but three exterior walls. In two years, September 1873 for the feast of St. Michael they opened their newly constructed church. Through the years St. Michael and it's clock tower have stood in Old Town as a visual beacon to all, its bells a reminder to everyone of the church's presence in the neighborhood.