Who We Are
The First Presbyterian Church of Pompano Beach was born in a drive-in theater in 1954. Four years later, a 168 member congregation was worshipping at the Lighthouse Point Village Church, a 300-seat building near the marina. It styled itself as a community church until 1956 when it chose to identify with the Presbyterian Church, USA, and was received into what was then known as the Presbytery of South Florida.
Under the guidance of our first minister, Rev. Wyn Blair Sutphin, it quickly became the fastest growing church in the nation, with its congregation doubling every year. By 1958 attendance had grown to over 1,000, and this phenomenal increase in membership soon forced the congregation to plan, finance and build its present edifice.
The First Presbyterian Church of Pompano Beach, Florida is a congregation of The Presbyterian Church, USA
The Presbyterian Church (USA) has approximately 2.5 million members, 11,200 congregations and 21,000 ordained ministers.
Presbyterians trace their history to the 16th century and the Protestant Reformation. Our heritage, and much of what we believe, began with the French lawyer John Calvin (1509-1564), whose writings crystallized much of the Reformed thinking that came before him.
For more information about the Presbyterian Church (USA) including our history, theology and positions on various issues, please visit the PC (USA) web site located at http://www.pcusa.org.