Who We Are
The Shrine Church of Our Lady of Solace has served the people of Coney Island for over over a century. From the very beginning we have been an immigrant church. Our founding parishioners were from Western Europe. They were followed by people from the Caribbean and Central America. Our newest immigrants are from Mexico and Eastern Europe.
Founded in 1900 by Rev. Joseph Francis Brophy, Our Lady of Solace was designated as a Shrine Church in 1905 by Pope Pius X. Our church has been a focal point for people who have come to Coney Island to worship, to live, to recreate or just to enjoy the beauty of the ocean and the shore. Our magnificent church building was completed in 1925, and provides a truly glorious space for worship as well as quiet prayer and meditation.
We have welcomed people to our parish since 1900 and we will continue to welcome all who come to visit or make a home with us.