Who We Are
Organized in the 1880’s.
Lake Bird United Methodist Church is a lovely sanctuary located in the northern part of Taylor County at Lake Bird, ten miles north of Perry on Hwy 211.
In the late 1880’s, the Rev. James M. Hendry, who lived near Lake Bird, was the founder of the church and started his ministry under a grapevine arbor. The first church that was built was constructed out of logs and located near the site of the present church. The name of the log church was “Mount Zion Protestant Church.
In 1902, two acres of land were acquired from John P. and Mattie Tuten. A new wooden frame building was erected on this site and church services were held in this building until approximately 1953. At this time the church was in bad condition and a new church was being planned – to be constructed on the same site as the wooden building. The church was going to be moved to another location on the church grounds, so services could continue to be held in it. During the moving the church collapsed and services were held outside under the shade trees until the new church was completed.
The present church is a block building, centrally heated and air conditioned, with a large social hall. It was completed in 1954. The church has been furnished with furniture by members and families of former and present members. Also, contributions are presently being contributed by former members who have moved to other places.
Every year on the fourth Sunday in June, the descendants of the Rev. James M. Hendry come back to the church for a Hendry Reunion.
The Lake Bird, Shady Grove and Boyd Methodist churches share the same preacher.
The Florida Annual Conference
Methodist Protestant Church