Plan Your Visit
Who We Are
Concordia United Methodist Church started out as a class of 11 German speaking members in Sauk City in 1853. In 1870 this growing congregation became known as the "Friedens Gemeinde" (Peace Society) with services held in members' homes. In 1872 a stone church was built in Sauk City near the village limits of Prairie du Sac in a section known as Middletown. By 1905 the congregation had grown to a membership of 238 prompting the decision to build a new church. This church was built in Prairie du Sac at 585 Fifth Street (at the corner of Fifth and Galena). The name on the red granite stone on the bell tower is "Friedens Kirche der Ev. Gemeinschaft" (Peace Church of the Evangelical Association). The photo on our home page and in the upper left corner of this page is that building. In the 1930's the language of the Worship and Sunday School gradually changed from German to English. About this same time the name was changed to Concordia Evangelical Church.
When the Evangelical and United Brethren churches united, our name changed to Concordia Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 when the EUB and the Methodist churches merged, we became Concordia United Methodist Church. An Educational Unit was added in 1952 to meet the needs of an expanding Sunday School program.
Today we have a membership of 300 with Sunday School classes from nursery to adult, meeting from September through May. Church programs include an active Youth group, Men's Fellowship group, United Methodist Women chapter, Children's Choir, Chancel Choir, and a Handbell Choir. Our member activities in the surrounding community range from elective office to volunteer work in many service organizations.