Who We Are
Dutch settlers founded a Reformed church in the town of Gravesend, one of the six towns that made up what is now Brooklyn, in the 17th century. The language of worship was Dutch until the first quarter of the 19th century.
Many Brooklyn streets are named after families who were members of Gravesend Church; e.g. Stillwell Ave. Emmons Ave, Ryder Street, Lake Street, Van Siclen Street, Cropsey Ave, etc.
Advent Lutheran Church was organized during Advent in 1908. Our present building was begun in 1909 and dedicated in 1929. The congregation was at it's largest in the 1930's. A picture of the congregation in 1939 can be seen in the office.
Advent Lutheran and Gravesend Reformed federated on January 8, 1979 to form the congregation we have today. We minister to the community as an inter-racial, inter-national and interdenominational congregation.