- Recommended for you
- The Many Halloweens
Is it a moral compass? A political agenda? A spiritual journey? A culture apart?
These are questions that will be discussed and debated when Georgetown University hosts the first “On Faith Live” event April 19.
The 90-minute symposium will inaugurate Georgetown/ On Faith — a new partnership aimed at providing On Faith readers a deeper and more scholarly exploration of religion in the news.
The April 19 symposium will be moderated by On Faith panelist Dr. John L. Esposito, Georgetown University professor of religion and founding director of the Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding.
He will lead a discussion that includes five other On Faith panelists:
– Salman Ahmad, a Pakistani-born rock star who started the wildly popular South Asian band known as Junoon.
– Ingrid Mattson, a Canadian convert, a professor of Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations at Hartford (Conn.) Seminary, and the first woman to be president of the Islamic Society of North America.
– Dr. Sherman Jackson, a native of Philadelphia, and professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies and Afro-American Studies at the University of Michigan.
– Sally Quinn of the Washington Post and Newsweek Editor Jon Meacham, both co-moderators of On Faith.
The symposium also will include two other panelists:
– Imam Yahya Hendi, Muslim chaplain at Georgetown University.
– Hadia Mubarak, senior researcher at Georgetown’s Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding.
The event will be held from 4-5:30 p.m. April 19 at Georgetown University’s Copley Hall Formal Lounge.
On Faith producer David Waters will blog the event and forward readers’ questions to the panel.
To obtain press credentials for the event, or to schedule an interview with the symposium panelists, contact WPNI’s Donna Sawyer at [email protected] or at (703) 469-2965, or Georgetown’s Jacques Arsenault at [email protected] or at 202 687-4328.
And stay tuned for more information.
By David Waters |
April 10, 2007; 4:01 PM ET
Next: What do Muslims Believe?
Main Index –>